Wednesday 26 February 2020

2.2.- Grammar: participle clauses

TEFL volunteers in Lugano Switzerland
Source: https://www.gooverseas.com/sites/default/files/styles/494x342_scale_crop/public/volunteer/feb-8-2016/138122-travelnstudy.jpg?itok=j4oZ4XMk

What other Swiss-city names do you know?



Complete the following story in teams imagining a group travel with some English classmates while being stuck in a city because of technical issues and using the given phrases.

Once in a Eurotour, I was going from Zurich, Switzerland to Hamburg, Germany by train, but I had to change trains in Basel, Switzerland. Unfortunately, my train in Zurich departed in delay, so some unexpected situations occurred.

Having arrived in Basel, ______________.
Having realised we lost the connection to Hamburg,  ____________.
A blonde girl, wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans,  ________________.
Stuck in Basel,  __________.
Having been given our new train ticket the next day, ____________.
Waiting for our new connection,  _________.

Ending, learning or lesson

My story

Once in a Eurotour, I was going from Zurich, Switzerland to Hamburg, Germany by train, but I had to change trains in Basel, Switzerland. Unfortunately, my train in Zurich departed in delay, so some unexpected situations occurred.

Having arrived in Basel, I was told that I should wait for the next train to Hamburg which was going to be next morning. 

Having realised I lost the connection to Hamburg, I started to yell because I was not going to use the sleeping car for which I paid a lot.

A blonde girl, wearing a white t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans, asked me why I was yelling and told me that I should get relaxed.

Stuck in Basel, I decided to go outside and walk around the train station. As it was so cold, I changed my mind; so I came back and took three seats in the waiting room for sleeping.

Having been given my new train ticket the next day, the costumer service agent said it was unbelievable what I happened because the Swiss train service was considered one the best one in the world.

Waiting for my new connection, I wished I had better taken a flight. Consequently, I deeply regretted not having done so.

Ending, learning or lesson

Thinking about my experience, I would never take into account a night train service anymore since I wouldn't like to live something similar again. On the other hand, not sleeping well when travelling is something I really hate.

Written by Elmer Santana

Video about Basel


Types of Participle Clauses

1.- Present participle active (-ing)
Waiting for my new connection, I wished I had better taken a flight.
This type of participle clauses are used for two-event clauses that be related to each other in different ways:


a) to express a cause:
Realising the mountain top was covered in mist, we decided to turn back. (Because we realised...)
The participle clause, which states the cause, normally comes first.
b) for describing the subject of the main clause:
The volunteers arrived at the clinic feeling a little nervous.
c) two simultaneous events with the same subject:
The woman hurried after her dog, calling to him to come back.
d) one event happening during another:
The new volunteer hurt himself (while) playing football.
2.- The past participle (-ed)

Stuck in Basel, I decided to go outside.

It has a passive sense, for exmple, 'Stuck in Basel refers to 'I was stuck in Basel'. However, this type particple clause can be used in the following cases:

a) to express a cause:

Ignored by the other children, the boy played by himself. (= Because he was ignored ...)

 The participle clause usually comes first. 

b) for description: 

Surrounded on three sides by mountains, the village rarely enjoys much sunshine. 

c) to express a condition: 

Kept in a cool place, yoghurt will remain fresh for a long time. (= If yoghurt is kept in a cool place ...) 

3.- The perfect participle, active (having -ed)

Having realised I lost the connection to Hamburg, I started to yell.

 It is used to show that the event of the participle clause happened first.

4.- The perfect participle, passive (having been -ed) 

Having been given my new train ticket the next day, the costumer service agent said it was unbelievable what I happened.

It is used when the action of the participle clause happens before the action of the main clause and the participle clause usually comes first.

Source: https://www.englishexercises.org/makeagame/viewgame.asp?id=13317


Collaborative exercises 1 and 3 on page 18


Online exercise about participle clauses

https://www.englishexercises.org/makeagame/viewgame.asp?id=13317



No comments:

Post a Comment